With businesses all around the world, one of the most significant barriers they encounter is language. Translations from and into several languages are essential for corporations to conduct business together. So, if you’re looking for a translation service, keep reading to find out what their essential standards must be.
A translation service may handle any type of translation, whether it’s legal, technical, or business-related. Legal translation is likely the most important of these services for business. Contracts and associated paperwork, legal communication, certifications, and patent-related documentation are all examples of this. When looking for a translation service provider, you may consider the following factors:
- On-time delivery
These three elements are unquestionably important for a legal translation service, but there is much more to the standards that must be met when it comes to legal translation. Essentially, legal terminology must be understood in a precise manner. There must be no opportunity for error or misinterpretation, or the persons involved may suffer serious consequences. As a result, below is an updated list of standards for legal translations:
1. Accuracy: A legal translation service must be precise and accurate to the nth degree. During the translation process, they must pay close attention to every detail. While translating, care must be taken to ensure that each word picked does not affect the meaning in any way. The tone of the translated text must match the formality of the legal language. Proofreading papers before delivery is essential for error-free translation. The meaning of a legal term can be altered by a single word, comma, or punctuation mark. As a result, accuracy requirements must be quite high.
2. Legal terminology knowledge: It is generally stated that legal translations are best performed by people who have firsthand expertise with legal concerns and issues. If you don’t have any prior experience, you’ll need to know your way around the legal jargon. Corporate law, international law, civil law, property law, tax and accounting law, patent law, and other words. Only then would they be able to better comprehend the paperwork and work on it properly, ensuring that they do not make any mistakes equipped with their expertise.
3. Awareness and knowledge of the legal systems of both languages’ countries: This is an important qualification that many people overlook: in order to translate a French legal document into UK English, knowing and comprehending French laws is also required. Because this is not merely a translation from one language to another, but also from one legal system to another. Aside from that, knowledge of both languages’ cultures and lifestyles is required. Every country’s legal language is different, which is why a legal translator must be educated in both legal systems.
4. Confidentiality: The most important criteria for a translation service is that they keep the translations they have performed for a customer private. Legal papers include sensitive information, which is why a law business must maintain tight secrecy. If a translation company offers a non-disclosure agreement, it takes confidentiality extremely seriously.
5. On-time delivery: The majority of legal papers are necessary to move on with business initiatives, mergers, or court cases. As a result, it’s critical to take the deadlines seriously. To ensure on-time delivery, deadlines must be specified, providing enough time for proofreading and accuracy checks.